Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Matchy Matchy!

Why buy, when you can DIY? I love being a mother of my two boys. I look forward to the tree forts, the canal searching, bug catching and over all boy-ness, and guess what? I will be right there in the thick of it. Lord be with our little girls, if we have any. I grew up as a tom-boy. I never enjoyed the barbie dolls and teapartys, honestly I avoided them at all cost. I was out in the dirt and mud, climbing trees, chasing animals. That was my childhood, so to have boys is like a chance to relive that all over. And I'm stoked.
One thing that I do not like about having baby boys, the femininity that we have infused into all things boy. I'm sorry when I dress my little 7 month old and still get the questions, "Boy? Or Girl?" Really? There is something wrong here.
So, I have the cute pastel bed sheets, because that is all they had at the store. Well recently I was wondering how hard it would be to make some sheets. I wanted to make a little super hero themed room. You can not have a super hero themed room with pastel sheets. That little super hero would be made fun of by all the other more manly super hero's that have non-pastel sheets.
So off to the internet I went. The tutorial was easy. I had this "ReaLLY?!?!?  That's It?!??!" Moment and Off the the store I went.
I picked out three types. I made a matching set for the boys room that has little whales on it. Its Fun, there were other ones that I liked more for little boys, but none of them were cheap enough for my "experiment." There other set that I got was one super man and one batman. I am going to make them for Christmas. Pretty excited about that.
Well, I cut the first set up, sewed, hemmed and sewed on elastic in one night, took me maybe an hour or two, not long at all. I was pretty excited.
And honestly? It was so very easy, I'm ashamed I did not try this two years ago with my first child. Granted, fabric in the little town I lived in was an easy double of what it is here, and why should I go buy fabric, when I was given sheets?
But I have made them, they are fun, they were easy and if you have access to a sewing machine and the basic sewing skills from your jr high home ec class- your golden!
For the how to Check out http://www.luvinthemommyhood.com/2010/05/crib-toddler-bed-sheet-tutorial-with.html
Here is the fun fabric! 
after I had added the corners and the hem
Now with the elastic 
Here is the toddler bed in use
and the crib sheet! 

No comments:

Post a Comment