Thursday, June 7, 2012

Quick and Easy rice

I'm very much in love with my crockpots. Yes I have two. I have a larger one for roast and larger meals and then I have a smaller one that I use for stews and smaller meals. Don't be judging. I have found them both to be useful in their separate posts and they have gotten alot of use over the years.
But if you were to ask me if I am satisfied with two crockpots, the answer would be no. I love coming home from church to a meal that is cooked, hot and ready to eat. One that required very little effort on my part. But the thing that drives me crazy is having to wait 15 more min to be able to eat. The meal is ready, the table is ready, the rice is not. I would like to add to my stash of crockpots a rice cooker. But until then I was thinking I had no choice but to do it the old fashion way, or did I?
So I tried en experiment and this secret I will share with you. Before I leave in the morning I set the rice out and let it soak in water while we are gone. Cuts the cooking process down, alot. So the same amount of rice that cooks in 15 mins now takes about five.
Rice is easy to make what ever amount to rice you have you want twice the water. I like to keep it simple, 1 cup rice and 2 cup water. I leave them mingling in my small sauce pan. Then when I get home I turn that sucker all the way up to a boil, reduce to a simmer. With a lid on, partway. Helps to cook it faster and keep it nice moist.
So in alot less time I can have the same result. This will tied me over till I can either find a good deal on a rice cooker, or I get sick of still having to wait when we get home. I do after all have children and in them are my genes. My genes that can make life unbearable for others if I have not been feed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment