Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Sweet and Sour Meatballs, Crockpot style

Another day, another dinner. I would love to say that it's getting warmer but lately it's been a little crazy on the weather. Monday as a 91* heat wave, yesterday and today are cold. Now myself, I'm not a fan of the heat, but I'm REALLY not a fan of the cold. Not so for my husband and as I found out my son. Monday was not pleasant, not for the heat. I can deal with the heat, what was not pleasant was the grumpy-indecisive-whiny son I had that day. So with that in mind I am on a quest. A Crockpot Quest. I'm looking to find easy, simple and TASTY recipes that I can cook in my crockpot. I am also looking for ways to make some of my "staple" recipes work in a crockpot.
So made a recipe from Betty Crocker Cookbook. Its Creamy Chicken Soup. Just kidding, from the title you know what I made.
Now you can make your own meatballs. But for the work I will gladly go to Winco and spend the $2 for pre-made meatballs, my time is worth $2. So here is the recipe from the book...
meatballs
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 can (13 oz) pineapple chunks (un-drained)
1/3 cup vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 small green pepper- I don't always do the pepper
So you cook the meatballs, drain the fat then mix brown sugar and cornstarch in skillet, stir in pineapple (juice and all) vinegar and soy sauce. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and Add meat balls. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally. 10 min. Stir in green pepper. Cover and simmer until crisp- tender, 5 min.
So that is the Betty Crocker recipe. And now for the Mollie twist.
I mixed everything in the crockpot then added the meatballs -frozen, straight from the freezer. And I left it cooking on low for 5 hours.
When we got home from church the meat balls where ready to eat and in barely anytime at all the rice was ready too. Want my secret to quick cooking rice? Check out the rice post.
There is something about meat. It will almost always hit the spot. And the crockpot made the pineapple nice and tender, even my husband could eat it. (Insert Gasp here.)


No comments:

Post a Comment