Sunday, July 8, 2012

Sock Bun, easy way.

Wow, it's been awhile. I have a feeling that blogging with be one of those things done more in the cold season, when I am locked in doors more often, then the summer when being outside is just too big a temptation! 
But here we are. And today I though I would share my take on the sock buns that you have seen on Pinterest. There are two main ways I have see, both starting with the sock, toe cut off and rolled on it's self to form a doughnut. 
The first way is to take your hair in a high pony tail. Then taking the sock and starting at the end of your pony tail you roll the hair around it. This was tricky. I have thin hair and while long it's not nearly enough to wrap around the sock evenly. And I usually end up with the white sock showing. Not attractive.
Then next option while easier tends to leave you with a tuft that looks as if it hovers above you head. you take the sock to the base of the pony tail. And then finding the center of your pony tail you spread your hair out evenly around the sock to cover it. Typically secured with another elastic. Then you have to figure out what o do with the left over pieces.
This is what I have done. And I really like it. 
Above is the supplies. Those twisting bobby pins are amazing. I bought the two longer ones for about six bucks and the three shorter ones for about seven. They claim to do the work of 20 pins and they do. they work very well. 
To start you will need to make a pony tail. It doesn't matter where you put it. I have done super high on my head, and at the nape of my neck. It all works.  
Slip the sock (again, it is a sock with the toe cut off and then rolled onto itself forming a doughnut) to the base of your pony tail. 
Then tease, tease and tease.  
Picking a spot to start you will begin to wrap the hair around the sock...
 Keep wrapping....
 Once you have the spaces secured you will then use the twist pins to secure. I have found that if you use a looser knit sock you can twist right into the sock. Making your bun a little more secure.
And This is the finished product. You can add hair accessories to your hearts desire. I would just not go toooo over board. After all the nice thing about this look is the simplicity. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment