Monday, May 14, 2012

Houdini Tortellini Soup

When I first walked in to the house I was met with a smell. It was a gag me and kill me quick smell. Some might not mind it but I was leery of what was meant to be our "dinner."
When I came across the recipe on Pinterest I thought "sweet! a pasta meal that I can make and walk away." As I read the instructions I realized that it was not nearly that simple. If I had read the instructions before I bought the ingredients possibly this dish would have not been made. 
But I had the ingredients, most of them anyways, so I made the dish. 
You make the soupy aspect of this dish then leave it to cook. That was the part that did not smell great. Then an hour to forty-five min later you toss the tortellini in.
The last bit of the dishes cooking life something happen. I have no idea why, or how, but the gagging smell disappiated and a delicious smell came. Magically almost!
I got the recipe from Better Home and Garden, via Pinterest. Here is the recipe... as I used it...

1 envelop of white sauce, 1 cup of veggie broth, 4 cups water, 1/2 cup chopped onion,  1/2 teaspoon dried basil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon oregano, 7-8 oz of tortellini and 12 oz of evaporated milk. You combine all the ingredients, minus the tortellini and evaporated milk. Cooking them in the crock pot, then one hour to forty-five min before you eat you dump the tortellini and evaporated milk in the pot to cook. That's when it starts to smell nice. 
Now if you go to the website you will see that I left out some things... like the garlic, cayenne and the spinach. I don't like spinach, I hate limp wet spinach. So out it went.
From the smell in our crockpot to the dish on our table, I was very surprised to take the first bite and actually like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment