Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Quick, in the nick of time, iPad headrest mount

A trip looming with a 23 month old and a 4 month old, you could say I'm a bit apprehensive. A year ago the 23 month old traveled well, but that was a year ago... who knows what this trip will be like. And horrors, I'm doing it solo. I'm either brave or out of my mind insane. We will find out which after the trip, or during. Five hours in a car...what can I do to keep at least one of my children happy?...? Well I have this great little device, an iPad, but no way to attach it to the back of a head rest. And have you priced out those things lately? Not cheap.
I am woman, I am resourceful. There must be some easy and simple solution that is cheap. I googled "diy iPad mounts." There were a few options that came up, but none of them "simple" and they all required purchasing things.
Hoping to use what I already had around the house, I set to thinking. And Thinking and thinking, and Thinking. And this is the solution I came up with. Granted it has not had a "test drive" (literally) but when I set the iPad in seemed to hold fairly well. Granted I had these items from one past project and a brother-in-law who gave me the shirt (it was much much to large for him.)
Are you ready for this all too simple project? All you need is a shirt (that is longer then your head rest-you want to be able to tie it) and a plate hanger. Yep that's it. I'm glad that I was able to think of this, because if I came across this on the internet (or Pinterest) I would be doing the V8 head slap. 
You simply cut the bottom of a large, x-large or xx-large shirt, about 6-8 inches or so. Enough to help balance and secure the weight of your device. 

Once you cut the strip, you will need to cut it apart, so that you have a strip of fabric instead of a tube. 
Next, you will go find your victim. A headrest of your choosing. Tie the strip of fabric around the headrest, loosely to start with. Take the plate hanger and slip it between headrest and the fabric. Now you can tighten the heck out of the fabric strip. Make sure you spread the fabric across as much of the headrest as possible. The more fabric touching the more friction involved, the less you have to worry about that very expensive piece of equipment. 
Then you take your device and using the plate holder just slip it into place. Now you have a very easy, inexpensive mount for the long and tedious trips you take with children. Happy traveling! 


No comments:

Post a Comment