Monday, May 7, 2012

Take Two...

I sat down a few days ago and was going to make a trivet out of all the corks that my husband has been bringing home from his job. By warping wire around the middle I thought I could just coil them together, nope that doesn't work. I'll lay them flat and do a type of weaving with wire, nope that's even worse. Oh! I'll just...forget it! I sat down to be relaxed not to get annoyed and frustrated at a bunch of stupid corks! I put that project on hold and just watch tv instead.
Then late on Saturday night, as I should have been going to bed an idea popped into my head. You know how your brain is tired till your head hits the pillow then you have all those wonderful brilliant ideas come. That was where I was Saturday night, amazingly Sunday morning the idea was still in my head. So I set to work, keeping an eye on the time. I do after all still have church two boys to get ready and a husband to get up.
I sorted through the corks first and picked out all the same corks, won't do to have a mismatched trivet. Don't want things tipping down the road. I then heated up my wonderful glue gun and set to work. I stood at the counter keeping the hot tip and the cord away from my almost two year old. He is quite able to entertain himself and enjoys playing and doing his own thing- minus now where he is sitting in my lap watching me type and drinking lots of water (fun diaper to come.) But you still can't be to safe when heat is involved.
Standing the corks up I started to glue them together, going in a circular pattern. I just kept going and going and going.  
After a bit of time I ended up with the below project. 5 corks across in a hexagon shape. I enjoyed the random purple tops scattered in the trivet. Thinking that this will make a fun project later, possibly write a letter in the corks by using the purple tops. Will be tricky and time consuming and I will need many many more corks.  
Above is the almost finished project, missing something though. Hot glue is incredible and a great solution for simple projects, but it lacks a little permanency when dealing with some projects. This being one of them. 
Using some wire that I have around from previous craft obsessions I warped the corks twice and twisted the ends together. Giving the trivet a lot more stability and a nice touch of class. This step would have been much easier if I had simply waited for my lovely husband to help out. But patience is a work in progress for me and so there for I did it by myself.  
The gluing of this project was easy and you end up with such a fun look afterwards. I look forward to other projects that the corks will inspire! 

No comments:

Post a Comment