Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Re-Vamp your Grilled Cheese

No I have not forgotten about this blog, I just got a little bit busy. And I'll be honest, distracted. I usually fluctuate between "utterly obsessed" and "uninterested." And yes I stole that from a pinterest picture, but it describes me so well. So, I am flipping the switch back to "Utterly Obsessed" here we go again. Before the start of every new month I sit down and do our family budget and our menu for the month. I feel as if I'm almost always in a sate of sitting down to do the budget and menu.
Yes it's alot of work, but it's alot of work at one time, the rest of the month is easy breezy. So worth it. And to add some variety to our "Rice and Beans" budget I like to look for new recipes to try. Thanks to Pinterest it's so much fun. Of course this leads to the "Honey pick up a pizza for dinner, I was busy pinning healthy recipes" scenario (yes another theft...)
I stumbled across this recipe and thought it was interesting sounding, a nice variation on a sandwich. I would be able to easily feed myself and the boy off this, and since it had cooked fruit I figured that my husband would be okay "missing out."
You need "sturdy wheat bread", red pear, raspberry jam, cooked bacon, and muenster cheese. I took alot of artistic license with it. 
I used some of my home made white bread that I sliced on the thicker side, to make it "sturdy". Also I have no idea where you could find "muenster cheese" I was unable to find it, so mozzarella stepped in as a replacement. Last change I made was using strawberry jam instead of raspberry, I had sadly just run out of my grandmothers homemade jam. You layer the ingredients on the bread then grill the sandwich. The recipe had an order to it, but I figured there really was no big difference to how I did it. On one slice I layered the mozzarella cheese, on the other slice I spread the strawberry jam, laid the bacon on top of that, and finished with the pears. In my skillet I plopped a little butter in and melted it. Placed the slice with just cheese, in retro-spec I should have done the other one first, it's harder to flip over.Added slice number two, adjust slice number two. And grill.  
Bread, I like, along with strawberry jam, pears and cheese. Bacon made me a bit leery. I am not always sold on bacon. There are people out there who live and die by it, I am not one of them. I usually crunch a half to one whole one and I'm good. Feeling adventurous when I put together the menu is what leads to the "off the beaten path" items for meals.
I made a lunch for my son out of the pieces. He takes apart sandwiches anyways, why bother to make one for him.  He happily munched on all the separate pieces. I watched him eat while my sandwich finished grilling, wondering if he had the right idea.
Taking my sandwich out of the skillet, placing on a plate and sitting with it at the table. I was not sure what I was about to find.
What I found was a surprisingly tasty and very filling dish! All the pieces play well off of each other. No Idea if it would taste better with all the actual ingredients, but I'm fine with it the way it is, I'll keep it. Besides, the hunt for muenster cheese might prove to be more then I would like to do.



No comments:

Post a Comment