Thursday, May 24, 2012

Quick Calzones

A while back I made some spaghetti complete with meat sauce. After the spaghetti was cooked and eaten, I realized that we had much more sauce then noodles. Unsure what to do with the excess I tossed it in a tuperware container and into the freezer. And, kinda forgot about it until it was menu time.
When I'm putting together my menu there are a few things that I look for. One, i like to have as much of the ingredients present, Two, the list of ingredients must be short and Three, it must be tasty sounding. That one is always a nice little additive. No sense in making a nasty tasting meal.
Cruising through my "Taste of Home,  Dinner on a dime", I came across Quick Calzones.
1Loaf of frozen bread dough (thawed)
1 cup of three-meat sauce
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (I just sliced mine)
1-2T milk
1 T grated Parmesan Cheese
1/2 t Italian seasoning
I was like um, yes I will do this recipe! It calls for meat sauce, I've got meat sauce I need to use. This will be prefect!
I wrote down the things that I needed and picked it up at the beginning of the month. And I was finally able to make it last night (the 23rd of the month.)
Yesterday morning I pulled out my cheese, meat sauce, and loaf of frozen bread and let them all de-thaw together. I read over the steps and figured it shouldn't take too long. Not too long, just all day. My second born went down around 4 for a nap, hoping to avoid the mad panic of six. I went ahead and made the calzones.
You divided the dough into four equal-ish parts. And roll it out. I recommend being more stingy with the flour. I had troubles getting my dough to stick when I folded it over. Once you get them a nice size, place your cheese, the more the better I discovered, and the meat sauce. Fold it over and pinch the sides together. I ended up pressing them with a fork trying to get them to stay. 
Brush the tops with milk and sprinkle parmesan and the iltalian seasoning over them. Pop them in the oven for 20 min at 350 degrees. And you get the below result. I did the "poping" later. I made them then covered them and left them in the fridge till it was closer to dinner. Essentially avoiding that pivotal time when both boys are awake, demanding and I'm trying to get food for them all. 
I thought this was a perfect meal for our family. Even my  2 year old ate most of his. I even had an extra to send with the hubby to work this morning. Hope you enjoy the ease of this and the taste is fantastic. Thanks again to Taste Of Home for this tasty recipe. It was a hit with us all! 


No comments:

Post a Comment