Tuesday, May 15, 2012

LBD- blue not black

Have you ever attempted to find royal blue clothing? It's not really easy. Of course when you are not looking for it then you find it, but when you "Need" to find something that color you can't. I found Bright, topical blue and Navy blue, baby blue, green blue. But no royal blue. You might ask "Why are you trying to find Royal Blue?" Well let me tell you. My younger brother is getting married this summer. The bride and groom requested that we wear Royal blue. Happy to oblige, if I could I set out on my quest. 
I found a beautiful royal blue dress at a certain store (Old navy if you must know) and brought it home. triumphant in my quest, I proudly showed my find to my wonderful husband. He was indifferent. Honestly I was told that it looked like I was wearing a swath of royal blue fabric. Thought I could live with that, it was after all the elusive color I had looked for.
Sheepishly, I found myself back at the same store, with said dress. Returning it. I so seldom have the chance to buy clothing, I will not buy something that my husband doesn't like.
So off on the hunt I went, again. 
I had found directions months ago about how to make an infinity dress. But that was before budgets and baby number two. I forgot, like I so often do now days. I can thank Pinterest for reminding me. And a dear dear friend for pinning the pin.
The bottom of the post has a very helpful site to go to to make your own infinity dress. 
If you are anything but short you will need a butt load of fabric, I'm not joking. That, that picture is of five yards of very stretchy fabric. Tips for picking out fabric; look for a nice stretchy fabric, one with spandex in it, give the raw edges (in the store) a bit of a tug to make sure it won't unravel on you. Once you have spotted your prey, watch it through your camouflage of coupons while you wait for the "right" coupon. I found a 50% off coupon bringing this fabric down drastically! Thank goodness. 
This is the fabric laid out, you can't see the end of it, it just kept going and going down the hall way. This next part is such a pain in the butt.
You will need to cut the circle for your dress. A perfect circle out of slippery, slick, fabric. It can be done, just take your time and go SLOW! I used my tape measure that I stuck a pin through the hole of pinning the tape measure and fabric to the floor. Then using some chalk I made dashes to cut a straight line. 

When cutting the long straps, I recommend a yard stick. Helps to keep the fabric still and the line straight.
These are all the pieces, I have one circle skirt, one waistband and two very long straps. When you sew them together, trust me it will be easier to do the straps then the waist band. Much easier to manage. I ended up with a circle on my skirt (for my waist) much bigger then my actual waist, so I had to gather it into the waist band. I would recommend doing this project with a person who is good at math. I am not, I suck at math. Anything past the 2 grade my kids will be at the mercy of their father. Who is good at math. And if I had been patient I might have been able to avoid the gathering process. 
Also, my waist band was much thicker then the dress made by the other person who made it. But I found that the thicker waist band help to hide the bra. Good thing, yes.
Sew the straps on, then pin the waist band on and sew that on, but leave about half an inch on each side not sewn down to the fabric. Then you can sew your vertical seam, then sew it down to the dress. There was way too much seam ripping going on for my liking. The fabric was slippery and keep slipping around making it very difficult to sew. 
But perseverance paid off. Now I have a lovely royal blue dress that I will be able to wear in a variation of ways the only limit is my imagination!
Go and check out the site for an awesome diagram!  

http://knucklesalad.com/convertible-infinity-dress-how-it-almost-defeated-me-and-what-you-need-to-make-one/

No comments:

Post a Comment