Tuesday, April 10, 2012

diy: household hub

So years ago I introduced a "Key Bowl" into the dynamics of our fresh marriage. After several attempts and suggestions I gave it up. True to form once I let off my husband started using a bowl (note: a bowl not THE bowl.) So this last year we moved to a little apartment. I have no room for a Key Bowl by the door so I came up with out Household hub. It has been a work in progress over the last 3 years. Not because it's a time inducer but because I would keep thinking of ideas that would be "so cool."
It all started with a lovely small long rectangular window, that I found at a friends farm. I brought it home and bought four coat hooks. My wrist killed after twisting the screws into the holes- yes I know that they have hand held drills for this but, that would require a drill with a charged battery. Drill I have, charged drill I do not-and like I said earlier not patient enough to wait for a charge. I then got some of the picture frame brackets for hanging. You know the ones with teeth? that's what I used- so much forgiveness when you're trying to hang things up.
That was stage one. And I loved the window hanging in my kitchen-perfect for catching my purse, keys and jackets when I would come in the door.
Stage two happened after the move. I hung the picture by my front door. Putting a nifty little hanging basket on one of the hooks keeps our remote close to the tv but outa little hands,( Like I said small apartment)  along with catching things you like to keep close to the door. But I realized that something was missing. So, grabbing two clothes pins I modge-podged some pretty brown paper to each clothes pin. Then glued the clothes pins to each side of the window. Balance is key. In more way's then one.
Now it not only catches purses, jackets, keys and remotes. But it can also hold mail that needs to go out along with redbox movies that need to go back.
Now to the last stage-for now that is. In our house before we moved my lovely and very active dog some how managed to knock the window down which resulted in broken glass. So, months later, I asked my wonderful brother (who has access to wood tools that my husband and I do not have) to cut me a piece of wood for the back. I attached the back to the window frame. And then using the stash of corks my husband saves from his work (makes me feel like a bit of a chipmunk hoarding nuts) I hot glued them to the front of the board. Now, and only until I come up with more  hats for my window to wear, the window is a; key-holding-hat-keeper-basket-storing-purse-saver-letter-sorter-dvd-reminding-jacket-wearing-corkboard-window. One that does it's job quite well and looks great while doing it!

2 comments: