Friday, April 27, 2012

German Pancakes...Again?

Seven years ago before my marriage to my wonderful husband, I sat down and told him. I will clean, do laundry, grocery shopping, mending and dishes. I hate cooking. I would not cook. So starting our new life together, he did most the cooking. I cooked one day a week, and more often then not I would cook a recipe from my childhood. German Pancakes.
That became a staple, as you have read in my previous post I adore breakfast food. So having it almost once a week didn't bother me. Not so much my husband. Fast forward almost 6 years and my loving and patient husband said "I'm not really a fan of german pancakes." I was shocked! He had apparently liked me cooking, anything, that he had held his tongue and had endured countless dishes of german pancakes.
After that startling revelation, the greman pancake parade came to a stop.
It would reappear when my husband was unable to be there, and one of the best things about making it with out my husband's presences you might ask? Fruit. Baked fruit is so amazing. But we have yet to find a baked fruit my other half likes.
I heard my mother mention a pinterest find of blueberries and brown sugar with german pancakes. Um, amazing must try!
I didn't find the recipe on Pinterest, figuring that I have the german pancakes recipe how hard could it be to just toss in some blueberries and brown sugar?
You will need a cast iron skillet for this recipe. So rush out and buy a brand new one, or stock your local thrift stores. You can always clean and re-season them.
Take a 1/3 of a stick of butter (sliced) putting the butter (or margarine) in the skillet. I like to place the skillet in the oven while it's warming up to 400*
In a bowl mix 4 eggs, 1 cup flour, 1 cup milk, 1 tsp of vanilla flavoring. Mix well.
Once the oven is warmed up, and the butter is melted. Pull it out dump a cup (or more to your taste) of blueberries and sprinkle 1/2 cup of brown sugar over the top.
Doesn't that just look tasty!  
Taking your pancake batter pour it over the butter, blueberries and brown sugar. Doesn't look so tasty this way. But just waaaiiiitttt!
Place back in oven and bake for 20 min at the 400* You can then pull out a delicious and amazing breakfast or dinner. Which is my favorite time of day for breakfast food.  
Now you could just eat it this way, or if you would like to prove your true sugar-holic side, top with a sprinkling of powder sugar. Dig in and enjoy!
German Pancake Recipe
*4 eggs
*1 cup four
*1 cup milk
* 1 tsp vanilla flaovring
-mix well, till blended
-pour over 1/3 cup of melted butter in your skillet
-bake at 400* for 30 min


2 comments:

  1. Amazingly Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are aren't they! I've also cooked them with peaches, haven't found any other fruit yet though.

      Delete