Saturday, April 21, 2012

Mad string cutting Skills

Certain people have certain skills. And hopefully if you are married you have a good even balance between the two of you. Take my husband and I for example. I am good at the crafty, sewing, cooking, kid raising and house keeping arena. My husband has the market cornered on all things geeky. And I love that. I love that from just living with him I've absorbed some of that geeky side and can preform basic tech-y things. I love that even though I could do simple tech-y things, I will often pass them on to my husband. Let's be honest he does them quicker and better then I can.  I also love that a few months ago he beat the string prize machine at a local eatery and was the proud owner of the Ipad 2  for a mere five bucks. Then just this week he went back to the same eatery and now I am the proud owner of his Ipad 2 and he has an Ipad 3. This one cost more but only twenty.
I'm very excited about our matching Ipad's. My husband works so hard at two jobs to take care of us that it was nice for him to be blessed this way. And I once again got to benefit from his blessings. We always joke that I will be the only thing that last his whole life. Insisting that he protects his investment, he went and purchase a pretty heavy duty case. His case cost more then his Ipad. My things last longer and because of that I don't have to "insure" the objects safety as he does. I bought a flim for the front and for the back and Then made my own case. You can use the same process to make your own Ipad cover, or adapt it to work for you.
What you will need, so nice pretty fabric that is 2x as long as your tablet or 2x as wide, be sure to leave add an inch to accommodate seam allowances and for the batting you will place inside. I picked a nice quilter type fabric. You will want the same length or width in another fabric to be the inside. I went with a flannel. And some batting (quilting batting will work, there was some left from a re-upholstery project.)

Here are the two fabrics. Place the fabric right sides together and sew around three sides. It really doesn't matter which sides. But a longer one will work the best for stuffing the batting inside. 
Turn your project right sides out. lay your fabric over the batting. Don't make it perfectly even- you will want to pull the fabric off so that it overhangs off the batting. This will help account for the fabric being sewn already. The batting needs to be smaller then the fabric piece so that it will fit inside and not get bunched up. Once it's cut, gently tuck it between the two pieces of fabric.
Adjust as needed.
It's a little hard to see but you will need to sew the three pieces together, this will  ensure that the batting will stay put and not move around. I did straight lines, but you may do as your heart chooses. 
 Keeping the side you wish to be on the inside; out. Sew the one long side closed along with the bottom short side.
Sewing the bottom closed
Sewing the long side closed. 
This Ipad case will be a open top case. But you can do side ones if you like by sewing the two short sides and leaving the long side open. Or if you did your fabric lengthwise (as apposed to what I did- width wise) you will sew one long and one short closed.
Here is the Pouched turned the right way. 

I then chose to sew around the open part to give it a nice "finish"
I also sewed down the sides and the bottom.  To give it some added strength, and
I love an exposed thread in a contrasting color. 
Ipad met your new home!
so snug and cozy! 
 The finish project took all of an hour and a half, and that was only with help (or lack there of)  from my son. Calling my attention away every few mins or so. Thankfully it was such a beautiful day that he seemed more interested in annoying our neighbors- with all sorts of sounds- than being interested in what I was doing. That worked for me. Should be pretty easy as long as you have a basic understanding of sewing.  I then packed up all the sewing equipment. Sewing machine, Ironing board, Iron, and my sewing box. Lugging them all back down the hall to our "safe room." The safe room is simply an extra bed room with all our project stuff and the door locked.
I sat down to admire and critique my project. It was pretty good as far as pouches go. I didn't want to deal with a closure but the more I looked at it the more I wanted a little more security from it just slipping out. Sigh, out comes the sewing machine again...
Some day I will have a house that will have a craft room (even if it is just a closet) then I can leave the sewing machine all set up!
The finished project complete with elastic

Anyways, so I turned to pouch inside out once more and sewed some elastic just inside the opening. Now the Ipad will have a safe and cozy home. Just enough protection to keep is secure. And alot of color so you know it's mine.
When I showed my loving husband the finished project his response was "that should work, although it's not my style." No kidding? Well as if the pink protective backing wasn't enough to tell them apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment