Monday, April 30, 2012

"Feed the Birds..."

"...Tuppence a bag..." Tuppence means free right? And don't tell me you didn't start to sing the Marry Poppins song. I was singing it the whole time I was making this project. Just that line over and over again though. Kid probably thought I was broke.
My wonderful brother-in-law gave us a bag of birdseed to feed to the ducks at the river. The ducks were already well feed- apparently everyone else had had the same idea that beautiful day. So not wanting to waste the bird food and hoping to give our small family some cheap entertainment, I googled "diy birdfeeder" some great options. But the one that stood out to me the most was this one from "Tree Hugger" (link below.)
A quick Help Wanted Ad on my friendly neighborhood facebook page I Had a Pringles can. But I have yet to find a person who will admit to liking sardines. Thankfully my father is an avid Altoids eater. I stole a tin from them, actually they were all to happy to give me that and others. (Must research projects for Altoids tins.) 
I started with prying off the lid to the Altoids, not to hard. Harder, but barely, I cut a slit for the Altoids tin in the Pringles can. Make sure you measure it well, and I would recommend cutting the hole smaller then the tin. You can always go bigger to go smaller would require another can. 
Next I poked 3 holes in the top, just below the rim for the string.
Finding some pretty paper, I was originally planning on using Mod-Podge, be deciding that wouldn't be as weather friendly as I would like, I opted for packing tape. I measured the paper, cut to size, held it in place with scotch tape. After I wrapped the can with the paper, I simply taped the entire can one strip at a time.
You will have to re-poke the holes and cut the space for the Altoids tin.  

 I had bought two scarves awhile back and kept the little rings they had come on.  Thinking I was going to make some cute mod earrings from them. That was months ago, this is now, I tied the string to the ring. If you don't have something like this or similar, you can use some pony beads to keep the string from coming back through the hole.
So close I can almost hear the birds chirping! Shove the Altoids tin in to it's space, pull the string up and tie a nice solid knot  and loop to hang it from out side. The last step is filling it with birdseed. 

Here is the finished project hanging outside. Hope to see some birds at it in the not so distant future. The cats should be fun to watch. But I honestly doubt it. We live on a second story. Not much reason for coming up here. Oh well, still looks pretty and at least I made an honest attempt to " Feed the Birds."

http://www.treehugger.com/natural-sciences/its-for-the-birds-1.html

No comments:

Post a Comment