Monday, April 16, 2012

How do we measure up?

I can not wait to get a house! To have a yard for my kids to play in, not to mention to be able to get a dog- that I can send to the back yard when it's stepped on my last nerve-and to paint what ever crazy colors I want. But one thing that I really look forward to is to have a  piece door trim to mark the every changing growth of my precious children. So that the day they go to kindergarten, graduate from highschool, get married, have children- will be forever recorded. But the list of debts we have (although shrinking surprisingly fast) still stands between myself and that dream of having a house. What to do what to do, and like always Pinterest to the rescue!
I found via pinterest; Six Sisters' Stuff have a diy lovely large ruler. They have made their's very classic and clean looking. New wood and using paint for the numbers and marks. I choose to use some old barn wood- from the farm I grew up on, along with my fantastic wood burner that I bought a few months ago and am always trying to use for things.
The first thing to do when you want to make one of these (other then getting wood and figuring out how you would like to do the marks paint vs. wood burning it's your choice) is to get your hands on a normal size ruler. I used my ruler to make 1in marks that were about 1in in length. With the foot marks about 2in length wise. Use pencil first you know what they say "mesure twice, burn once."

 Then using my tool I started to bun the wood. The straight marks are pretty easy, once you add curves to the mix it becomes a little harder to keep smooth lines, tricky but not impossible.
 Below is the finished product, I was so supper excited that I wanted to go wake up my first born and have him stand to measure him... But I decided that it would be better to let sleeping children lie. Must learn patience. I do have a great family night activity now, so that's good, bad thing is we will have to wait a few more days.
To finish the project I'll simply attach a picture hanger to the back so that I can hang it on the wall, and then take it off to do the marking.
I would still love to have the house of my dreams in bright crayon box colors, but at least I now have a wonderful piece of art to track the growth of my children, no matter where we go. Bonus, I won't have to pry off door jams to take the records with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment