Sunday, April 15, 2012

Rice and Beans, not even my beans

So my husband I recently found out about Dave Ramsey, and have jumped on the "be debt free" wagon. He's always saying to live on less then you make and to eat rice and beans. We have actually eaten alot of sandwiches and mac n cheese. There is only so much you can do with rice and beans. But I guess, less still with Mac and Cheese.
In our other town I bought beans, a bag of beans... do you realize the work that is required  to cook beans from a bag? It's a mess. So needless to say we did not eat said beans. And I have since decided that when I need beans, my beans will come from a can. But, back to the story,  when we moved I didn't keep that bag of beans. I didn't keep much of anything, I got rid of $800 worth of things at a yard sale. Things that I now wish I had kept. Like that bag of beans.
I also had a box of scrap fabric. And there was a need to get rid of some of the fabric in that box- it was beginning to leak out forming a mind of it's own. Would it stay closed this time? Or burst all it's fabric entrails all over?
What requires scraps of fabric and beans? Bean bags, my sudden desire for bean bags could not be quieted.
Expressing my desire for beans to my mom she say's "oh I have some" she then proceeds to produce four jars of beans. Not all full, my mom's not crazy. Well, thank you very much mother. Once again your lack of willingness to throw anything away has come to my rescue!
My project could now commence. Bean bags for my son to play with. All you need for this project is ...
Beans
Fabric Scraps
scissors
a template of some sort
Of course if you get easily frustrated w/ cutting then might I recommend
a cutting mat and rotary cutter?
 You will also find a sewing machine helpful, you can do it by hand but I find that method tediously slow and there for use a sewing machine.

Here's  the scrap fabric all cut out and ready to go. I made enough for 10 bean bags- my mom has enough beans to spare for my 10 little bags. My bags are 5x5 but really you can make any size you would like. I hijacked my sister's quilt square but if you get your hands on a ruler and some scrap cardboard. You can have any size you would like. The bigger the bag the more beans you will need, just keep that in mind.


Here is my adorable helper. He was handing me two different pieces of fabric. But he quickly became less adorable and more on the side of annoying. So I put the project on hold till his nap time. While the child's away the mother's can play.
***To do this project is really easy the hardest part for me was trying to fill the bags. But if you have a funnel with a big enough hole it's a breeze. I kept my funnel with the biggest hole, but it still failed to be big enough. If you have that problem, simply roll a piece of paper into a funnel shape. Be sure to tape it or you will quickly become frustrated and you feel that you need multiple hands to do such a simple project.
Placing wrong sides out and the pretty fabric towards each other, sew around the perimeter of the project, being sure to leave a big enough hole to shove the project back through and to also fill with beans. Or else you have a "bag" instead of a "bean bag" far easier to make but much less fun to play with.
Turn your project right sides out through the hole, and using something with a point push the corners out, so they resemble corners instead of round edges. Fill your bag with the beans. Then turning the edge of the hole inside. You can either sew this area shut by hand, or you can sew around the bean bag edge; you can see that's what I went with. It makes it stronger- this toy needs to last through all the children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren I plan on having.

Here is one bean bag finished
And the whole set. You can make them match on both sides
But I have much more fun with different colors! 
You then can show your child what to do with bean bags (and you know you will have to, they won't know what to do with such primitive toys); stack them on your head for a race, toss them back and forth, throw them into a bucket...But you know they will just end up having the "Ultimate Bean Bag War" with their siblings. And you know you will join in on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment