Thursday, April 12, 2012

Image Printing the Cheap way

So I was flipping channels one Saturday morning and on the PBS channel (my channel flipping is quick and easy I have 10 channels, actually 3 channels and their sub-channels) I stopped and watched a feature on ways to spruce up the house. They had a monogram pillow, well hello there! Ah! I love monogrammed things. I always wanted something monogrammed, but I held off. My thinking was well some day I'll get married and then I will want something monogrammed with my married initials. Fast forward a decade or so and I get married... Changed two letters, yep two letters. Exchanged my "e" for an "a" and added a "t." By gosh I will have something monogrammed! So watching the show I was inspired! Had to have my initials proud and beautiful on my bed. But the show host had used iron on letters. That seems much too pricey and in hard to find sizes, for me to wanna do it.
Then I had a flash of an idea! Giddy with excitement I went to my local Walmart and picked up some pillowcases, in an off white. I contemplated orange but went with the white. This is the finished product.

Aw! How cute! His and Her's. Or actually Her's and His'. So, it's the same process to get these fun pillows but I'm just going to walk you through a different image. Here's what you are going to need....

Freezer Paper (aisle that has tin foil)
Pencil
Excato Knife
Acrylic Paint
Paint Brush
Magazine you DON'T care about
Pillow case
Iron and Ironing board
And some cardboard to place between the layers when painting



First you will need to come up with a design, you can either free hand it- which is what I did. Or print of a picture and lay it under the freezer paper. Simply trace, I know you use to do it as a kid. After you have drawn out your image, and are happy with it, you will use your excato knife to cut it out. What you cut out will be painted in. If it helps use a marker or crayon to color in pieces to help you know what to cut and what to not to cut.
Here is my image cut out. You need to make sure you keep the pieces that add to your image, ie the eye's and nose on my skull and cross bones. 

My family seems a little horrified with my, lets call it "fixation" on skulls, but come on! With two boys it's going to come with the territory, I will embrace with open arms.
The next step: Take your iron and ironing board (hopefully you have been warming your iron up for awhile- on the hottest setting) Place the image on your fabric and iron on. I usually do the large image first and then the little details after. 
Here is the fun part, after you take your cardboard between the layers, take your paint and brush and paint over the space that the freezer paper doesn't cover. And let dry.
Once The paint is dry you can gently and carefully pull off the freezer paper. And Ta-Da!

Lovely Fun! This pillowcase will now spice up my changing table. Hope you enjoy and I would love to see your creations! Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment