Sunday, April 22, 2012

My Rib Endeavor

The first time I trekked out to the store, I had asked my new husband what he would like to eat. He requested some steak and chicken. Okay! I can do that. I went to the store picking up the basic food needs. When I got to the meat aisle, I grab a package of steak and stood frozen... that number there is the price?!?! Oh my word, no I can not do that.
I was raised on a farm, I was heartily feed meat and potatoes. how could something that I had every night be that much?!? Needless to say we didn't eat alot of meat the first few years of our marriage, and the meat that I did get was usually mooched off my grandmother.
Fast forward a few years and my wonderful grandmother gave my husband and I a gift of a fourth of a cow. Great gift I think. I know that there are people who are horrified by this comment and thought. I use to be one of them. As a child I swore I would be a vegetarian. Which my parents would lovingly say when you are out of our house you may do as you choose.
Once in an attempt to get meat off the menu I had named the butcher cows. Rosebud, Rosepetal, Rosestem...Real creative right? I was ten. So, I had over heard that our butcher hated when the cows got named. Sadly this info did not save the cows. The cows came back to us with "RoseBud" stamped  across the boxes. My childhood made me tough!
So when I was cruising Pinterest I came across a recipe courtesy of Sweet and Savory Foods. It's for Barbecue Pulled Pork Sandwiches calls for pork butt, 1/2 bottle of sweet baby ray, and some Lawry's salt.
I had Short ribs, bottle of honey bbq, black cherry soda and some seasoning salt. We are set!
I like to do crock pot meals on Sunday's. Prepared the night before, left in the fridge, you can pull it out and let it cook while your away. In my case while we are at church. The above picture is the dish precook. Typically the meat I use comes straight from the freezer into the mixture in the fridge. I have never had a problem with the meat not cooking all the way through. 
And here is the finished product. No where near the Pulled Pork Sandwiches but tasty never the less. 


No comments:

Post a Comment